बेस्ट स्टोरी एवर!

June 30th, Best Story Ever
The guy just said he didn’t speak English

Last night we are coming home from cyberland (the closet with the old 80s computer, dsl, and freezing cold A/C) We are hungry, but so tired and ready to crash.

We walk the 4 or 5 blocks back to the guesthouse and Leah walks up to this dark-skinned Indian man who is sitting in a chair on the sidewalk, talking with the doorman, and she says, “so, do you know if there are there any restaurants closeby that are still serving food?”

He has no reaction, no expression. “oh, of course you don’t,” she says smiling. We we start laughing. He says, “no speak english.”

We try to decide what to do next...home/food/what? Then the man looks at me and says, “Jackson is dead.” I must be dreaming Right? The guy just said he didn’t speak English. So I say, “you like Michael Jackson?” “Yes,” he said. Then he comes out with, “Are you feeling sad?”

He says, “London?” people here assume you are from Europe first when you are white I guess..then I say, “no, Toronto,” and he says, “ya ya Toronto!” dude.

The guy just said he didn’t speak English!

Comments

Popular Posts