Camp Lejeune :My Experience with Investigative Reporting


     The story that ran on the Morning Edition today on WKSU today about water contamination over thirty years at Camp Lejeune, and it's effect on the family of PFC. Bob Rees is one of the most complex stories I've reported.  CLICK HERE to listen

     I had to understand and learn about the United States Marine Corps, a complicated hierarchy mixed with honor, duty, loyalty, rules and heart.  Then I had to understand the nature of chemical contaminants, their relation to cancer, the process of testing and monitoring, and the history of clean, safe drinking water law in the United States.

     Next I had to learn about the community that surrounds Camp Lejeune and Jacksonville, North Carolina, and observe a community that is home to a thirty-year public health crisis, and a gigantic and active military base.  May the truth be known someday so that it never has to be repeated.  Thank you Olympia Flaherty, and your family and friends -you welcomed me and taught me about a culture I could never have gained understanding of without you.  And of course, without Bessie...

    Next were the federal agencies, and the United States Marine Corps -each of whom I had to understand some degree of how they work.  And let's face it, we are talking about some of the most bureaucratic government institutions in existence - each with their own layers of truth and motivation contrasted to society's (and my own) perceptions of what they are supposed to do for us. 

    Oh, the scientists.  The folks esteemed by their research and fascination with the relationships between our bodies and the chemicals we make - topped with the myriad of variables surrounding the actions that disease and cancer has on us.  Well, some, but not all of us; and all of the related complex concepts that are just not so black and white. 

     And to those of you who served in the Marine Corps, thank you for sharing your stories, and your patience with me while I learned the difference between a soldier and a Marine, a drill instructor and a drill sergeant.

     Jerry Ensminger, you've taught me that being advocate means you truly have to look at all sides, do your homework, and remain objective; and you reminded me that telling the truth isn't about making people believe you -because not everyone wants to, and not everyone will.  Your relentless mission to the truth has served people on all sides. You efforts and your respect for everyone are appreciated - I heard it time and again from everyone I interviewed.

    To the Rees family.  Gene, Betsy, Bobby, Sarah and Evie; Stephanie, Mike and Tacey, thank you for trusting me to look at your biggest unanswered questions.  Thank you for allowing me to give you a voice -one that was unheard for over 25 years.  May your courage, bravery and trust infect the many others who have shared the same silence.

     Oh and don't forget to watch Semper Fi; Always Faithful on MSNBC at ten tonight.  A documentary about Retired Master Sergeant Jerry Ensminger a man who lost his own daughter to leukemia, and who has become the face of the many Marines and families with their own unanswered questions.





    

   

Comments

Popular Posts